1952 Garden Club Members including Helen Corey (second from right, orginal charter member of the NGC) prepare to weed the triangle at Church and Main Streets.
During the 1950s, the Northboro Garden Club expanded its community impact through public planting projects, seasonal decorations, and historic preservation. Marking its 25th anniversary in 1950, the club continued to grow in both membership and civic engagement throughout the decade.
First Parish Unitarian Church - Location of the Amy Maynard Memorial 1950-1960 (photo credit: google maps)
Plaque found in 2024 at the Location of the Amy Maynard Memorial Garden at the First Parish Unitarian Church
25th Anniversary – July 14: The Northborough Garden Club celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1950. Six of the original charter members attended as guests (one was unable to attend). The eighth living charter member, Miss Helen Corey, was recognized as the only one to have maintained continuous membership. She was presented with a Parker pen in appreciation of her many years of active service.
Living Christmas Tree Project: The club assisted in planning for a living Christmas tree in the town center. This initiative was inspired by the discovery of a $200 bank account dating back to the early 1890s, when a children's group called the Village Improvement Society, led by Susan Forbes, was active in the town. Another Christmas tradition around that time involved creating wreaths for the doors of the town hall.
Amy Maynard Memorial: The Amy Maynard Memorial was established in front of the ledge on the easterly side of the Unitarian Church. The old Paul Revere bell was placed at one end. Plantings included a smoke tree, fringe bush, fothergilla, and two azaleas, with a marker also added. As of 1960, the care of this site was transferred to the church.
Town Hall Oval Planting: After earlier unsuccessful attempts, the "oval" in front of the town hall was successfully planted in 1951 with shrubs donated by Bigelow Nurseries. The club also had added bulbs and flowering annuals and continued to maintain the area as an ongoing project.
Triangle Plot Maintenance: It was suggested that the Park Commissioners take over the maintenance of the triangle plot. When they were unable to do so, the club members decided to take on the responsibility themselves once again.
By-laws and Dues: In December, the current by-laws were adopted. Membership dues were set at $1.00.
Maple Tree Planting: At the club’s suggestion, the Massachusetts Department of Public Works planted twelve maple trees along Main Street. The Board of Selectmen was notified of the club's interest in developing the area directly in front of the town hall. Plans were being made to contact the Massachusetts DPW again about this proposal.
Today, we refer to it as the Old Town Hall at 4 W. Main Street, where our memorial garden is now located.